The Navigation Center
The Navigation Center is a new low-barrier, service-enriched shelter targeting high-needs homeless adults living in encampments. Onsite services include hygiene facilities, 24/7 staffing, and intensive case management. The program offers highly marginalized people the opportunity to regain safety and engage in supportive helping relationships that allow them to move forward with rebuilding their lives, as well as develop pathways to permanent housing, income, healthcare, and stability.
People are welcomed as singles, pairs, or groups; with pets; and with access to secure storage for their belongings. The dormitory-style facility has no curfew and provides shower, bathroom, and laundry facilities, as well as comprehensive case management, behavioral health services, meal services through a partnership with OSL, and connections to benefit programs and housing.
The Navigation Center can accommodate up to 85 guests at a time.
Referrals and Contact Information
Referrals to the Navigation Center will be through the REACH Outreach Team of Evergreen Treatment Services.
To contact the Navigation Center, please call (206) 322-1763.
For media inquiries, please contact Daniel Malone, Executive Director, at (206) 515-1523 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Low-barrier framework – The Navigation Center welcomes people with partners, pets and possessions.
- Visiting providers – DESC partners with relevant external providers to engage and work with clients onsite.
- Harm-reduction approach – Staff work with clients on safety, reducing the harm associated with substance use, building motivation, and offering practical support, including recovery activities. Substance use is seen as an opportunity for engagement rather than a reason for termination of services.
- Minimal rules – Part of a low-barrier model is having as few rules and formal structure as possible. Clients are expected to be working on housing acquisition, but other than that, services are focused on determining with clients what they want and believe they need. Violence, weapons, open use of substances, or disruptive behavior in the neighborhood are not allowed.
- Individualized and holistic support services, focused on housing – Intensive, individualized, wrap-around case management services are provided on site by case managers and milieu service coordinators. Services are voluntary but highly effective and engaging.
- Good neighbor relations – Staff monitor the immediate neighborhood, discourage loitering by clients, and respond promptly to any neighborhood concerns.
- On-site behavioral health services – DESC sites staff from its own state-licensed mental health and substance-use disorder treatment programs at the Center. Staff help clients connect with appropriate programs as desired.
- A safe, clean, calm and flexible environment – Only enrolled clients are permitted to enter the program spaces, and the entry is staffed at all times. Separate areas for sleeping, eating, meeting with staff accommodate clients’ differing schedules and needs. Janitorial services are robust.